Sunday, May 4, 2008

Black Rice with Edamame

Kodai Kuromai to Edamame







This recipe was an opportunity to browse the local Mitsuwa supermarket and find Japanese black rice. Here's what I found:


I believe Japanese black rice is different than the Thai black rice used used for the sticky black rice with mangoes and coconut cream sauce, but I don't have any Thai black rice in the pantry right now to make a direct comparison.

The preparation method for the Japanese black rice is certainly different than Thai black rice. A small amount of Japanese rice is added to white rice for flavor and color. I cooked the Japanese black/white rice in my neuro fuzzy logic rice cooker. With Thai sticky black rice, you soak the rice overnight and then steam it in a basket.

I love the dramatic contrast between the dark purple rice and the pale green edamame in the finished dish.

No comments: